Wednesday, April 4, 2012

be YOU!

A man got on an airplane and sat next to an incredibly beautiful woman. He was super attracted to her and got up the nerve to strike up a conversation with her and said, "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" She said, "Sure, go ahead." He said, "What kind of men are women like you attracted to?" She said, "Well, to be honest with you, I just love native american men. They are handsome. They are strong and I just think they are incredibly sexy." She said, "But I also like irishmen. Irishmen are bold and courageous and opinionated and that is really attractive to me." She said, "But I also like good old boys from the south. They are just so sweet and courteous and kind. I find them very appealing." The man didn't say anything for a moment and then she said, "By the way, what is your name?" He said, "Well, my name is Geronimo O'Reilly, but my friends call me Bubba."
If there is one thing, especially us girls need to stop doing, is worrying about what other people think of us and letting them determine our self image. It's been said that at age 20 we worry what people think about us, at 40 we don't care what people think about us, and at 60 we find out that nobody has been thinking about us. So, why in the world do we allow what we "think" other people "think" about us to determine our worth?

You are the only YOU that there is and that is a very special thing. A great piece of advice is this, "be who you is, because if you is who you ain't, you ain't who you is."

YOU, be yourself!! You are the unique self that God made you to be and He is proud of how He has made you and loves you just as you are.

Psalm 139:14, "I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." I love this verse and I think reading at first glance we can each say, "Yes, I am made by God and He made me just the way I should be." However, we stop before we read the end of the verse where it says, "I know that full well." Do we really know it full well? Have we really embraced who we are in Christ and accepted it fully? If not, that's something that needs to be established in our hearts and souls so that we can move beyond the identity crisis and do the work, confidently, that God has called us to do.

No comments: