Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Tough 12 Miles

A run down of my 12 miler today.

Started out fast and strong. Actually ran a 10 minute mile in the beginning of the run. And, for some reason that I haven't figured out I got weak FAST! Last Saturday when I ran 10 miles I felt so strong and felt I could have ran longer but this week I started fading around the 5 mile mark.

The trail was a bit frustrating this week because of the snow. It was melting and left water puddles everywhere. I was running with Tricia and both of our shoes and feet were soaked. The bottoms of both my pinkie toes are blistered from running with wet feet. (OUCH) We also got to a point in the trail where they were doing repairs on it so we had to take a detour. That was frustrating because where we had to run there were no sidewalks. We had to cross a lot of roads and watch out for stop lights. Definitely not ideal for a long run.

I had my sports beans with me and had to start eating them around the 5.50 mile (that's 2 miles earlier than I needed to start eating them last week). AAARRGGHHH!

I finished the run, but not as strong as I would have liked to. Towards the end I started feeling really sick. I drank some water and headed home with my tired body, wet feet, blistered toes, sore knee and aching tummy. NOT FUN! I made it home right in time... ran in.. went straight to the bathroom and threw up twice.

I'm pretty sure one of my "dumb" moments today was deciding to leave my water bottle behind in the car. I didn't want to carry it for 12 miles because it gets heavy and hurts my wrist. But, when you eat the sports beans you're suppose to drink lots of water after you eat one. I thought since I did so great with only 2 sports beans last week that I wouldn't need to eat any more this week. But, I did drink water during my run last week so I know that's one reason I was so weak. The other reason I think I was so weak was because I was coming off of my knee injury so my endurance was down some since I missed 2 days of running. And, the trail was a mess with water and snow. All these factors broke me down quickly.

The half-marathon I'm running is in TWO WEEKS and I know without a doubt I'm ready for it, just got to be smarter with staying hydrated and listen to my body!

I wanted to post about my hard run because although I'm exhausted and this wasn't the most fun run I've ever done I STILL FINISHED!! I didn't stop and pushed through the pain. And, sitting here right now I feel so much better since I've eaten some substantial food and drank lots of liquids. I only have a little bit of soreness in my knee. The worst part right now is the blisters on my little toes, but that's ok. It will heal and I'll get back to it!

Click on the link below and you can see a map of my run!

MapMyFitness.com View IMapMyRun : Feb 13, 2010 3:49 PM in Fort Worth, Texas

Posted using ShareThis

1 comment:

Shortcake said...

Way to push through Courtney! We did it together :-) I'm looking forward to the 27th!