Monday, October 22, 2012

Stats!?

I always enjoy pulling out my running stats from past races to see how I've done and to see if I've gotten stronger and faster. It's so cool to look back and see how it used to take me at least 45 minutes to run 3 miles and now I can get 3 miles done in 28 minutes. It's also pretty cool to see how I used to not be able to run a mile without thinking I would die and now I can run 13 miles. It has taken lots of time and intent devotion to improve the way I have. However, running isn't the subject of my post today but the illustration of it really drives a point and opens up my eyes to what I've been neglecting.

I've only been a runner for 3 years and if I've improved from one mile to being able to run 13 in that amount of time and I take and apply that same thought to my life spiritually I should definitely be further along spiritually than what I am.

What kind of growth have I made spiritually in the 19 years I've been a Christian? How many people have I led to Christ in the past 19 years? How many times have I've gone out of my way to serve others in the past 19 years? If I'm going to be honest with you, the stats are not looking so great. And for that I am ashamed. We should be able to look back at our Christian journey and see growth. We are not meant to stay the same. Christ means for us to grow, mature, and become more and more like Him as the days go on.

I Peter 2:2, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation."

No comments: