Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Much Needed Reminder

I have to open by saying, our God is just too good to us. He meets us right where we are and just the way we are, no strings attached. He invites us to come into His presence to simply sit and enjoy Him. He brings messages of hope right when we need them. I'm listening to a song on my ipod right now titled, "Jesus Paid It All," which says:

"Praise the One who paid my debt, and raised this life up from the dead!"

God is the giver of life, the giver of hope, the giver of compassion, the giver of good, the giver of healing, the giver of forgiveness, and on and on it could go. Today, in the moment I'm living, God is the giver of forgiveness and because of that I should be the same. The following question was raised in chapel today, "Has anyone ever sinned against me as much as I have sinned against God?" And, of course the answer is NO! To some this may sound astounding and ridiculous, but I've learned and am still learning that it is true. My sin against Christ far outweighs any thing and every thing anyone could do to me.

I'm not saying the stuff that happens to us doesn't hurt and bring pain to our lives. Trust me, I'm the first to tell you that it does. But, what I am saying with confidence, is that if we do not forgive the offences brought against us, then what right do we have to ask forgiveness for our sins from God? And, not only that, but if we do not forgive the offences brought against us we are going to end up some pitiful bitter people. And, I do not want to be known as a bitter person. Another thing the speaker in chapel said today was, "you don't give people what they deserve, you give them what they need." WOW! Amazingly True and just what I needed to hear today. Would it be easy for me to chew people up one side and down the other for the pain they've caused me? YES, in fact it would be TOO easy for me to do that. But, I've learned that I cannot respond in this way. It will not do any good, it will only cause more damage than what was originally intended. So, what do I do? I stop and ask myself, will God be proud of my response to this situation and will I be proud of myself for the response I give? Ten out of ten times, when I stop long enough to ask myself these two questions I feel much better and glad for the way I responded.

No comments: