Friday, August 13, 2010

Cancelled Swim Lessons = Trip to Zoo

We got to the YMCA this morning for Joshua's last day of Eel swim lessons and they had cancelled them due to the pool having too much clorine in it. Joshua was very disappointed. He LOVES going to swim lessons!! So, we decided since we have a zoo membership that we would head there for a couple of hours.

Here a good shot of Joshua swimming all by himself during his swim lesson. I am very proud of him. He's come a long way with his swimming this summer. We will start our 3rd session of swim lessons (stingrays) next week and then we'll hopefully be ready for the YMCA swim team.
We were the first ones into the bird feeding area this morning and needless to say, those babies were HUNGRY!!! It was hilarious! As soon as we walked in and they saw we had food they flew straight to us. One of the birds landed on Joshua's head and before I could take a picture he had knocked it off his head and poured out all his bird juice and told the birds, "I ain't feeding you if you land on my head!" Me and Rodney laughed soooo hard! He was serious and definitely gave those birds a nice lecture about leaving his head alone. So, since Joshua would not feed them the birds decided that they would go after me and Rodney. One bird started nibbling on Rodney's ear (picture below). I had two or three birds on my arm and still managed to get a good shot of the bird nibbling on Rodney's ear. Shortly after I snapped the picture of Rodney a bird decided to land on my head. All I could think was "oh crap, it's going to poop in my hair." I'm very thankful it did not!!


Here's a good shot of the birds being nice and eating the way they are suppose to. :)
Of course we had to stop and pose for some "photo moments".

Telling Rodney to LOOK at that big tiger!! It was a real one.. (haha)
Joshua, the Lion Keeper
We have been trying to get Joshua to climb this rock wall at the zoo all summer long and he just decided on his own that today was going to be the day. It was sooooo neat watching him climb this thing and do as well as he did. I was very impressed. Luckily, there was hardly nobody at the zoo today so he got to play on the rock wall as long as he wanted to. He really loved coming down off the wall. He thought it was cool to "fly" down.
Rodney decided to race him to the top. Joshua loved trying to beat him. And, of course I had to give it a shot!! I went about half way up with my flip flops on. Although I've been bungee jumping before, the height still gets to me and I chickened out and went back down.
Taking a ride!! Everytime we go to the zoo Joshua gets excited about one particular animal. It's always a different animal, but he will talk about whatever animal he happens to pick that day all the way through the zoo. Today's animal was the koala bear. We visited that exhibit quite a few times today.
The new kangaroo exhibit is really cool. You walk down a path and they are just jumping around all around you.

No comments: