Monday, September 10, 2007

Prison Picnic

I had the opportunity to go to the Women's Prison here in Columbia this past Saturday. Where I work we do an annual picnic for the inmates. We take things like fried chicken, fresh veggies, and lots of desserts... stuff they don't get the priviledge of having on a consistent basis.

Oh, I have to tell you the very deepest part of my soul was touched and forever changed as I came in contact with each of these precious women. Yes, their stories are much different from mine just from the kind of things they have done but PRAISE GOD their future can be as secure as mine as the Lord of Lord's holds them in the palm of his hands. He has not turned his back on them and will never, ever give up on them. I went into the lock up area where they keep some of the ladies that they have had discipline issues with and they also keep new women that have just come into the system. The only way you can talk with them is through the door of their cell. We went from cell to cell talking and praying with each of the women there. Talking with them, and just seeing the pain in their eyes totally broke me. Many of them are so young and scared to death. Yes, they know why they are there and they know they've done wrong. But, you know one thing I learned is that even though they've done some horrible things... they are human and are truly hurting over their present circumstances. They want to be different. They want to change. However, our society is so harse to them and in no way takes the time to encourage them to be different and change. Our society automatically slaps a label on them and considers them lost causes for eternity. Oh, may the God of Gods change our hearts and attitudes towards them. May we look upon them with eyes of compassion and hope. I spoke with one lady who has 5 children and she told me, "there is no more hope for me, but just pray that my children will chose a different path than I did." It broke my heart to hear her speak with such hopelessness.

Let's lift these precious women up to God praying that each and every one of them will know they are not forgotten... but that they are LOVED and TREASURED above all else to the God of gods and the Lord of lords!!! PRAISE HIM!! I couldn't help but think of the song, "shackles" while I was writing this blog. Watch the video above and get up and do some of praise dancing of your own!!! YES LORD!!

1 comment:

A Place For Ministry Wives/A Place For Me said...

I'm so glad your spirit was "lifted" from the prison visit. Praise God. :-)