Friday, April 25, 2008

A Courtney Revelation....

Prayer has been something it seems everyone around me is talking about lately. I either hear it in a sermon, in a song, or read about it in a devotional. But, no matter what it's been finding a way to be brought to my attention everyday for the last couple of weeks. So, I was thinking this morning. "You think God's trying to talk to me about prayer a little bit, since He keeps bringing it to my attention?" Well, duh Courtney... it's about time you get it. :) I told ya'll I can be pretty slow sometimes. :)

I've been pretty dry in my spiritual life the last couple of weeks. I've read my Bible but nothing has really jumped out at me like it usually does. So, as I was sitting here this morning thinking about what in the world the problem could be I remembered all those messages on prayer that God had brought to my attention. Usually I have no problems grasping messages from God's word or coming up with something to share about Christ. And, I think the dryness I'm experiencing right now is because of the lack of priority I've been giving my prayer time with God. Prayer is such a refreshing, uplifting time for me and for some odd reason I just have not engaged in it these past couple of weeks. Prayer for me is like taking a big gulp of ice cold water and just feeling it refresh your whole body as you swallow it. It gives me an unexplainable energy. I picked up a book I've been wanting to read about prayer and came across a section of it that shows just how important prayer is and why when we live our day to day lives without prayer we become stressed, have no energy or ambition.

"It boils down to this: if you are willing to invite God to involve himself in your daily challenges, you will experience his prevailing power - in your home, in your relationships, in the marketplace, in the schools, in the church, wherever it is most needed. That power may come in the form of wisdom - an idea you desperately need and can't come up with yourself. It may come in the form of courage greater than you could ever muster. It may come in the form of confidence or perseverance, uncommon staying power, a changed attitude toward a spouse or a child or a parent, changed circumstances, maybe even outright miracles. However it comes, God's prevailing power is released in the lives of people who pray." (from the book, too busy not to pray by Bill Hybels)

Amen and Amen!!! Just sitting here realizing that this is what I've been missing revives me and refreshes me beyond explanation.

My attitude has just been horrible the past couple of weeks towards everybody and I know it's because I've not been spending time alone with God to get that refreshment that I need each and every day from Him. Knowing how ugly I can be without Christ just makes me wonder again how people can live without Him? If someone doesn't have a relationship with Christ, what makes them want to get up everyday and face the daily struggles and circumstances that come our way. I know that if it wasn't for God I would have given up a long time ago. He keeps me going. He's the reason I get up every morning, because I know that He will sustain me and give me the energy and power to make it through everything that comes my way.

He alone is faithful!

1 comment:

Tiffany Norris said...

Thanks for this! I would love to hear some suggestions about prayer time from you. I tend to get so sleepy in the mornings, and it's hard to find time throughout the day or in the evening. Then you read about people spending HOURS in prayer, and I think "I want that, too! But when?"
OK, sorry for the long comment--this just struck a chord with me! Happy weekend!